Jason joined POPS (Perioperative medicine for the Older Person undergoing Surgery) in 2008 and now is the lead nurse for the service. He divides his time between outpatient clinics and the wards providing specialist nursing and medical advice for surgical patients over the age of 65.
Jason has input into medical student training and is a regular speaker on the surgical pre-assessment process. He has spoken nationally and internationally on the use of comprehensive geriatric assessment (CGA), in the surgical setting, and on his role as an independent practitioner.
Jason is a committee member for the Royal college of Nursing Perioperative nursing steering group. He recently was a member of the expert panel for the NICE perioperative care guideline.
- management of the surgical patient with complex medical co-morbidities
- pre-operative comprehensive geriatric assessment of the surgical patient
- Staff education focusing on older patients needs in hospital.
- 1993 – Queen Mary’s University Hospital
- 2010 – Independent Nurse Prescribing
- 2011- Independent Nurse Practice BSc
- 2013 – Post graduate diploma – gerontology